Thursday, December 4, 2008

They like me, they really like me!

So I'm supposed to be working on my senior project but I'm just not in the mood! I've been totally procrastinating and now as punishment I'm going to have to spend the next 4 days completely consumed by it. The problem is that I'm really in the mood to write... just not for that. I'm hoping that if I get this out of my system I'll be able to go back to my heinous horrible paper.
Well guys, yesterday marked the last day of student teaching. Ever. Forever ever.
I still can't decide if I'm sad or happy about it.
I will not miss all the stress that comes with being a student teacher, but I will miss the kids!! I liked them so much. They were funny and clever and talented and sweet (sometimes) and dangit I miss them.
And I'll miss Tracy, my cooperating teacher.

We got along really well, better than I ever could have thought.

I ended my final day with our Christmas concert which was totally successful and super fun. The kids even got me stuff! They got me two bouquets of flowers, plus a card that a ton of them signed plus a bag of m&ms. Tyson also got me a bouquet of flowers and some chocolates (10 of which I ate in one sitting today. It happens.) So grateful!!

Near the end of the concert they did this cheering thing for me and clapped for what felt like 10 minutes and I stood there feeling like a dork. Kind of like when you have to stand up in front of a room full of people while they sing happy birthday to you. You know? And you can't exactly sing to yourself or sit down so you just stand there smiling 'til your cheeks start to twitch. Yeah, it was like that. Really nice of them though.


The signatures on the card was probably my favorite part of it all. There were so many "I'll miss you's" and "you were the best student teacher ever" and "you are so cute". It made me feel really good. Never mind that half the boys told me they loved me and would date me if I wasn't married (good thing they don't know how old I REALLY am).

But then the icing on the cake was this:

Oh yes, one of my students found out I liked to scrapbook. Her aunt is Lisa Bearnson who owns/founded/something Creating Keepsakes. So this student, I shall call her "M", hooked me up with some sweet stuff. *sigh* and I thought only elementary teachers got gifts from their students. What a good day.

In case you were curious what we sounded like (and how my backside looks in black) here's a little video from the concert. This was the last choir which actually combined the A Capella and the Chamber choir. There are about 150 singing right now which I thought was way fun. I love huge choirs! We are singing Fum Fum Fum by Mack Wilberg.
p.s. this was my 100th post. yay me!!

8 comments:

  1. You look good from the back in black:). That is seriously so nice that they gave you all those going away gifts... I didn't realize middle schoolers could be so nice;) Loves it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great choir. The kids are so sweet to bid you a fond adieu. Sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on being done with your student teaching! Good job!! That's so nice all the things they gave you, especially all that cool scrap booking stuff. That clip from your concert sounded great! Good luck with your final paper, you can do it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Isn't it a great feeling when they tell you that they'll miss you and give you gifts and hugs after they were monsters the whole time. I had one girl say that it was just "new teacher initiation!" Okie dokie. I am also procrasinating finishing my senior project, thus my comment on your blog. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. hooray for student teaching!!! even though i had the same love/hate relationship (which was mostly hate in one placement), i think i did cry on my last day in my first grade class. and yes, it's good to be an elementary teacher because of all the presents. i am missing that this year. :)
    good for you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aww-the kids are so sweet. Wow what a choir! (How come the video didn't show more of you???-heehee) You look so professional!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow,your choir sounds good, really good. And all the boys!! Man!! (no pun intended). You looked cute with your little pony tail bobbin'! I'm impressed.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your choir sounded amazing!!
    i loved it!! I did student teaching this semester too! So Fun!! Love working with the kids! Are you applying for jobs??

    ReplyDelete